Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My first taste of computers/games

My first memories of computer games was playing Atari with my Dad. I remember us referring to 'Atari hand', which was our term for sore hands from pushing the joystics into our palms whilst trying to beat each other at whatever game we were playing: some game which seemed state-of-the-art at the time, but which would now be referred to as 'retro', like Pacman or Pong ^^

It was many years later that I really played computer games much again.

My first taste of an online roleplaying game was at college over ten years ago *cough*. Someone had made an online text-based adventure game called 'Adv' which I started to play. I remember having a joke with someone in the game, then noticing that this guy across the room seemed to be enjoying the same joke. Of course he was the guy I was having a laugh with in Adv..

A few years later me and my boyfriend got a computer, and got online. Wow! :D
It was a Packard Bell 'box-job' (we give you this big box with the computer, software, manuals etc. in it then you're on your own! We never want to hear from you again, let alone help you! LoL) from Dixons. I think LineOne was our first ISP, though it's clouded by the nightmarish memory of AoHELL *shudders*

Once I'd got used to the novelty of being one of the hip and trendy people who were online *grin* I started browsing for games. Of course I remembered Adv. and thought it'd be nice to play something like that. Also, since the computer was only a 486dx (hehe) I had to keep it simple, so a text-based game was ideal.

I found a MUD that I liked and got quite into that for a while, then stopped for some time. I can't even remember why..

I did however resume playing and have always been drawn to multiplayer Roleplaying games, which I still play, though I use the term 'roleplay' loosely since, sadly, I don't come across it much..

Will write more soon :)

No comments: